What is language coaching?
It’s more than tutoring or accent reduction training. It’s more than classroom lessons with 20 other people.
Language coaching is a way of helping people learn a language quickly and effectively. I use a structured coaching approach that includes goal setting, active listening and deep questioning to provide the individualized and ongoing support that clients need to improve their English language skills. Clients work with me on:
- workplace skills: making requests, asking for clarification, handling customer complaints, phone conversations, sales skills
- soft skills: interacting with others, making a good first impression, socializing
- job search skills: resume and cover letter review, interview preparation
- intercultural communication
- pronunciation and clear speech
- oral and written communication
- reading and listening
- …and much more!
How it works:
- I start with understanding the context and issues surrounding the need for a language coach – this may be a conversation with HR or supervisor, and together we determine the next steps for setting up the first coaching session for the person(s) involved.
- All parties sign an agreement contract, which includes confidentiality and reporting guidelines.
- I meet with the staff member(s) for an initial coaching session to identify language needs and set clear language and communication goals. After the initial session, I send the individual a short summary describing the language goals that we discussed, and a suggested schedule for working together.
- Coaching sessions are usually 60 to 90 minutes long.
- Each coaching session focuses on one or more goals as identified in the initial session. I guide clients through the learning process, and build on what clients already know to develop their language and communication mastery.
- I help clients find and create resources and materials to support learning and practice between sessions.
- Clients can schedule sessions on a regular or as-needed basis.
- Clients will identify optional (but strongly encouraged!) practice tasks to work on in between sessions.
- Progress updates are provided to the company as per the contract agreement.
Want to know more? Feel free to get in touch.